Quartzite & Its Features
WHAT IS QUARTZITE?
This is the very question that has been plaguing our industry these days. The scientific definition of quartzite is a metamorphic rock made almost entirely of the mineral Quartz.
Its geologic cycle starts from simple grains of sand, compressed over time to create sandstone. The sandstone then gets compressed and heated again causing the sand grains to fuse together forming the durable rock we call quartzite. This is not to be confused with the manufactured product people are now calling quartz.
There is a misconception that quartzites do not need to be sealed but the need for a sealant is determined by the porosity of the stone. Just because a stone is labeled a quartzite does not mean it will not absorb water or oils. Due diligence is needed when determining what type of quartzite you are going to use. See our Blogs & Articles Page for additional quartzite information…
- Extremely hard and durable surface
- Larger slab sizes which can help minimize the need for seams
- Color matching for quartzite seams can be more difficult due to the great variation of underlying color from one part of the slab to another.
- Price is at the higher end of the pricing spectrum. Expect to pay twice what you would for granite.
SLAB SIZES & THICKNESS OF MATERIAL
Slab lengths: Approx. 115″-132″
Slab heights: Approx. 65″- 80″
Slabs are available in two different thicknesses….
2cm (approx. 3/4”) * In this region 2cm quartzite slabs are usually not available.
3cm (approx. 1&1/4”)
3cm Quartzite can have a maximum overhang of 8-10” (depending on the stone) from the cabinet without any additional support.
2cm Quartzite can have a maximum overhang of 4” from the cabinet without any additional support.
If a larger overhang is requested, then additional counter supports will be necessary.
With additionally approved supports, the overhang can extend past the support up to 3”.
1. This warranty covers failures caused by defects (inherent characteristics are not defects) from improper measuring and/or improper installation, that may occur within the first year after the original installation of the product. This is not a material replacement warranty.
2. This warranty will not cover those failures that arise from any physical or chemical abuse, staining, improper maintenance, excessive heat, excessive weight or pressure, or any “settling” that occurs to the cabinets or to the residence in which the product has been installed.
3. ALL Remnant Sales are Final.