Marble & Its Features
WHAT IS NATURAL MARBLE?
The geologic definition of marble is a metamorphic rock predominately consisting of fine- to coarse-grained, recrystallized calcite and/or dolomite. It has a texture of relatively uniform crystals ranging from very large (inches) to very fine, small, uniform-sized crystals.
While marble is a beautiful natural stone with huge aesthetic appeal, there are certain characteristics that should be considered before finally deciding to use it for your project. These are its ability to scratch, etch and stain.
A sealant is a great barrier against staining, considering the tops have been sealed properly. Some stones will take just one sealant coat while others may take multiple coats to ensure that the surface isn’t penetrable. Each stone variety will have a different porosity. This is what determines a stone’s ability to stain. It also affects how often it needs to be sealed and how many coats.
Staining isn’t the only thing to consider before you finalize your decision. Some types of marble are easily scratched and this is something you will want to be aware of before you purchase. Stone density is measured by a scale called the Mohs Hardness Scale. It rates stones from 1-10, from softest to hardest. Marble rates about a 4, while granite and quartzite will be rated around a 7 or 8. There are some marbles that are denser and, for that reason, may scratch less easily than others, but that doesn’t mean you are out of the woods yet.
Etching is the final, perhaps most prevalent, issue that needs to be addressed before you choose marble for your countertops. Etching is a reaction that happens to a stone made of marble. Calcites, dolomites and onyxes are all considered to be in the marble family. If you see a slab that is labeled Calcite or Dolomite, you can be assured that the stone will etch if it comes into contact with anything acidic.Many things we use in our kitchen everyday have acidic properties…lemons, limes, oranges, tomatoes, tomato sauce and vinegar. Even milk is an acidic, on the low end of the spectrum, but still acidic.
Still considering marble for your project? A simple conversation with us about what you want is the best place to start. There’s always a perfect product for each customer’s lifestyle! See our Blogs & Articles Page for additional marble information…
- Slabs are unique with beautiful colors and movement
- Good for baking – marble countertops naturally stay cool and always remain below room temperature. This creates the ideal working surface for bakers using chocolate, dough, pastriesor ice cream.
- Color matching for seams can be more difficult due to the great variation of underlying color from one part of the slab to another.
- Cost is at the higher end of the pricing spectrum.
- Stains and scratches easily.
SLAB SIZES & THICKNESS OF MATERIAL
Slab lengths: Approx. 99″-123″
Slab heights: Approx. 58″- 72″
Slabs are available in two different thicknesses….
3cm Marble can have a maximum overhang of 8-10” (depending on the stone) from the cabinet without any additional support.
2cm Marble can have a maximum overhang of 4” from the cabinet without any additional support.
If a larger overhang is requested, then additional counter supports will be necessary.
With additionally approved supports, the overhang can extend past the support up to 3”.
1. This warranty covers failures caused by defects (inherent characteristics are not defects) from improper measuring and/or improper installation, that may occur within the first year after the original installation of the product. This is not a material replacement warranty.
2. This warranty will not cover those failures that arise from any physical or chemical abuse, staining, improper maintenance, excessive heat, excessive weight or pressure, or any “settling” that occurs to the cabinets or to the residence in which the product has been installed.
3. ALL Remnant Sales are Final.