Granite & Its Features
WHAT IS GRANITE?
Granite is a traditional countertop material offering a variety of unique colors and patterns. It is a coarse-grained, crystalline, igneous rock primarily composed of feldspar and quartz. Granite forms from slowly cooling magma that is subjected to extreme pressures deep beneath the earth’s surface. It is a dense, natural material that is quarried from all around the world. Large blocks of granite are quarried from mountains, then the blocks are processed into slabs. Slabs are then fabricated into countertops.
- Once properly sealed, a granite countertop is virtually impervious to stains.
- Granite countertops are durable and resistant to abrasions and extreme heat.
- Slabs come in larger sizes and allow more control over seam placement than most manufactured products.
- Granite requires annual maintenance. We recommend the application of a penetrating sealer annually or bi-annually.
- Color consistency can vary greatly, even within the same slab of material.
SLAB SIZES & THICKNESS OF MATERIAL
Slab length can range from approximately 110″-126″
Slab height can range from approximately 58″- 80″
Slabs are available in two different thicknesses….
2cm (approx. 3/4”)
3cm (approx. 1&1/4”)
3cm Granite can have a maximum overhang of 10” from the cabinet without any additional support.
2cm Granite can have a maximum overhang of 6” from the cabinet without any additional support.
If a larger overhang is requested, then additional counter supports will be necessary.
With additionally approved supports, the overhang can extend past the support up to 5”.
See full natural stone and man-made stone Fabrication and Installation Warranty.